Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Blueberry Bites

Well... this post starts my journey in the blog world!


 I thought it was fitting to start out with the first recipe I thought up all by myself.  I came up with this recipe when I was little a little girl (about six or seven). And it turned out to be pretty good!






   So lets get started - 


   I started out by making the dough. I'm not quite at the make up your own recipe for dough, level yet so I used  the dough from this lovely recipe from Paula Deen which worked wonderfully.


First you start out by dissolving your yeast in warm water.




   Now I had a bit of a learning experience here... after three failed attempts at trying to get the yeast to bubble up and activate (which the yeast has done in all the other recipes I have tried) I realized that when you are dissolving yeast it doesn't bubble up like it does when you are activating it. So now I know, and you know, and you won't have to try four times like I did!


Now let the yeast sit while we move on to the next step. Scalding your milk. 




  Get out your candy thermometer.





 And cook your milk while stirring until it reaches 180 degrees.


Now you are going to put your milk in a big mixing bowl...




... with your sugar....



... your melted butter...




... your salt...




... and last but not least, your eggs.



Then you mix it all together.




Mix in your flour until combined.





 Then pour your yeast mixture in and mix until it forms a ball.
         (Sorry missed the picture of pouring the yeast!)



Now it's time to get your hands dirty... need the dough for about seven minutes.


 After your seven minute arm workout... make your dough into a ball.



Coat the bottom of the bowl with oil...



 ... then put your dough back in the bowl and cover with a thin towel.



 Leave your dough to rise for about an hour, until it is doubled in it's size.




 Now that the dough is doubled in size it is time to get your filling ready -


Start by mixing two tablespoons of sugar into about eight oz. of frozen blueberries.




Now get out two bowls. In the first melt 1/3 C butter.




And in the second mix up about 1/2 C of cinnamon sugar.



 Now, you have your work station all set up so it's time to get back to your dough. Punch down the dough.






Here comes the fun part... start by grabbing a small ball of dough.



Flatten it into a pancake shape, using your fingers.




Fill with blueberries.



 Pinch closed.





And there you have it!




Put the ball on a greased cooking sheet. And now it is time for the butter and cinnamon sugar.




Brush the melted butter over the top...




... then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.



 Repeat this process until you have a tray full of goodies!





Here comes more waiting! Let them rise again for about forty-five minutes covered by a towel.
     (Sorry again, no picture!)


After the forty-five minute wait, pop them into a 350 degree oven.



 
Let them cook for thirty minutes or until lightly browned.



 And there you have it! A wonderful treat for breakfast... or a delicious light treat for dessert!




                     
                                                                                   Enjoy!  Lane Elizabeth






              {All Photos are credit to my wonderful sister! Go check her out over at Zelda's Zoom}

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic job my girlie! Can't wait to see (and eat!) what you cook up next!

    xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lane, it is wonderful! easy to follow the recipe. I love you bunches. XOXO Aunttie Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad it is easy to follow... I love you too!

      Delete
  3. I admire very much a young lady like yourself loving to cook, it is sad that people are afraid of cooking when it is like doing art. I have been cooking by myself since i was 13 years old and i love cooking and feeding my friends and family. When my kids were home i made sure that they knew how to cook at least boil an egg or make some toast. Today my two older sons know how to cook and i could not be more proud and happy that they cared to learn. So my friend i admire your passion and i believe you can go far with your passion.Enjoy cooking it is a wonderful gift!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... It was so nice to meet you and to get to hear about your business. I am really looking forwards to cooking with the lemon olive oil we got! Hopefully it will be up on the blog soon. Thank you for the encouraging words... I look forward to seeing where cooking takes me in the future.

      Delete